Thursday, March 22, 2007

Last Weekend- Circumstances

Last weekend I went into the city with a bunch of internationals. This is the nice way of saying I was pretty much the only one whose first language is English, and the only one with a rough idea around the city. I say "rough" because anyone who knows me knows my sense of direction is fairly non-existant. My Internal GPS is permanently disabled. However, my incompitency is not the point of this story.

My friends and I decided to head to a German pub in Sydney called the Lauenbrau, which is quite popular and located just of Circular Quay in an area of town called the Rocks. The Rocks, by the way, is a fabulous historical district popular with tourists; it also has a fun street market on Saturdays.

I hit the pre-drinks fairly heavy because it is heaps expensive to buy alcohol when you go out in the city. It's just common sense that you get a bit drunk before you leave, then buy only enough to keep you riding the buzz. In any case, we arrived at the Lauenbrau safely and all of us together.

Once there, I recieved a text from Random #1 seeing if I was out that night. Naturally, I replied immediately with an invitiation to meet us at the German pub, if he could. He did, much to my delight. Being at the bar with a guy not only ensures you will not be hit on by creepers, but allows for the possiblity that he will buy you drinks and you will spend a minimal amount of money. God, I know that makes me sound like such a bad person, but really, I'm not! Try to see things from my perspective. I really was happy to see Random #1; he's super sweet and very fun to be around, if a bit on the shy side.

It wasn't very late when everyone started dancing, and because I now love to dance(!), we joined in. Shortly thereafter, I noticed my friends were nowhere to be found. Hmmm.... it was a bit sus, seeing as I'd met up with a guy at the bar and my mates disappeared. I'm sure Random #1 was a bit confused by this turn of events. See, if I had been him, i would have thought this girl (me) was an American trying to take advantage of him, which I totally was not. I mean, look at it from this perspective. Guy mets girl at bar. Guy buys girl drinks. Guy doesn't necessarily expect anything. Guy is aware girl lives about an hour away and will not be going home if she doesn't leave by the time the trains stop running. Girl's friends disappear.... you see where I'm going?
I don't know. Maybe he just thought it was his lucky night. But it wasn't. But now I'm gettin gahead of myself.

I called my friends amd yup, they'd left and were on the train. I guess I couldn't be too mad. They were very drunk and drunk people do stupid things all the time. Basically, they had gone to Mackers (McDonald's) and then forgotten I wasn't there, and caught a train home. Impressive, huh? Nice friends...

Random #1 was incredibly nice about it. I was all set to just catch the Night Rider home, but he wasn't comfortable letting me, a single, slightly intox girl ride alone. And he certainly didn't want to ride with me and then back to the city so....

I ended up back at his house. I want everyone to know I NEVER would have done this had I not be completely comfortable with him. HE ASSURED ME SHOUDL I BECOME UNCOMFORTABLE, HE WOULD PAY FOR A CAB TO TAKE ME HOME. For those of you who do not take cabs on a regular basis, that's about $150. And he assured me there was nothing implied.

Random #1 was a perfect gentleman. I slept, woke up in the morning and he and his flatmate put me on a train back to Campbelltown. About a million hours later, I finally arrived back on campus. Just in time to sleep for the rest of the day and refuse to go out that night.

So that's Crazy Night #2. This country is great for that! Hopefully an experience I won't repeat. Ever.

No comments: